Thursday 2 October 2014

Gender equality


Before people start rolling their eyes and beginning to think I'm trying to become the next Emma Watson, brace yourself - I'm not. I think I've watched Watson's very emotional and inspirational speech twice now and even with that obvious nervous frog snug in her throat, the speech itself was very moving and powerful.

I wanted to keep this post short, we all know I like my rants!
I often try to keep my eyes and ears open a lot of the time, I'm generally inquisitive and curious and since I spend a lot of my time doing research for my blog or on other blogs, I have the pleasure to see and read a lot of things floating around the net.

Now I wouldn't say I am a naive person, I don't exactly live under a rock either. I have my wits about me - just like you too. However Watson's speech shocked me, more than I thought when I initially began watching it. I don't know if that's because here in the UK gender equality isn't as extreme as other place's such as China, India and Africa. I'd say we have it pretty good - it's our race equality this country needs to work on I'd say - but that's a different blog post, on different topic for a different day. 
Just her figures and research were so on point and dramatic (but true) is what I'm sure shocked me the most.

- However something that has upset me since Watson's speech is the way men have reacted. I got very angry because I was seeing very undermining status' on my Facebook feed such as: 

"Well done Emma Watson, well done... i fully agree with... whatever it is your sayin sweetheart, you just carry on with what you think is best. Youve clearly got alot of lovley thoughts rattlin around in that pretty little noggin of yours. Now you jus' get back to charms class and let Harry do all of the heavy lifting and dark wizard thwarting."

And "Emma your too attractive to be worrying about big boy issues"

I doubt the 'boys' who wrote those status' even read this blog let alone this blog post, however if you are reading: are you having a laugh? Please read over what you've written, think about it and then tell me you could stand up in front of the united nations and provide a better more moving speech with a powerful re-enforcement behind it. 

I'll try wrap this up, I don't want this to become me shouting at men and naming and shaming peoples status'; all you men who think women are beneath you and don't deserve equal rights - please remember it was a woman who brought you into this world. Created you and cared for you in her womb, raised you. Unless you're a homosexual - one day you're going to fall in love with a woman. 

If you have a wife and a daughter are you going to look at them in a way that you're better than them?

Obviously Watson made all the massive points, which I can't even come close to trying to write them some justice so I won't. I'm also not trying and make myself sound like a huge crazy, man hating feminist and have 4chan threaten me too.

I just urge you all to go watch the video and take on board what she is saying, I'll leave the link underneath and you can look in to it for yourselves.

I'll leave this post at that. I know nothing I said was very inspirational - it wasn't supposed to be, just a acknowledgement for something that's gotten to me recently.

I really hope #HeForShe makes the difference in the world that it's aiming to make and until next time my loves - take care and play nicely towards each other!

TTFN
xxx



EMMA WATSON'S SPEECH

No comments:

Post a Comment